Monday, June 13, 2011

TEAM over TALENT - The Underdog Effect


Team
______

Talent

Team over Talent; a simple concept that continues to become more and more evident to me. In lieu of the Mavericks victory last night, I was inspired to get back on the blogesphere and share a life principal that's often missed in today's society.

Unless you're a hermit, a sports hater or completely oblivious to the news, you're aware that the Dallas Mavericks defeated the Miami Heat last night in the NBA finals. It was, once again, another example of how experience, chemistry and leadership trump raw talent. Nobody denies that that the Heat are incredibly talented. As a matter of fact, the Heat was favored in this series and even predicted to sweep by some.
Nobody denies that talent is a fundamental asset for success. It's hard to find and hard to train. But, often it's idolized as the #1 indicator by many in the sport's, business, and educational arenas. Whether it's AAU basketball leagues, Harvard Business school or the NFL combine; talent is valued, idolized and heavily inspected.

I'm seeing a shift in our culture.

Like anything, with enough failed attempts, we start to question our way of thinking. Whether it's Jamarcus Russell, the 2002 U.S.A. Men's Basketball team or Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football, talent doesn't equal results.

I, like others, am seeing a common theme in those who are truly finding results, particularly in the Sports World.

LEADERSHIP, inteGRITy, CHEMISTRY, CULTURE, EXPERIENCE, ETC...

...mixed with talent, turns into results.

Example: 1980 U.S Hockey Team, 03', 04' Patriots, 09' Saints, 04' Red Sox, 06' Boise State or The Mighty Ducks.

We love the underdog because deep down we want to see a team with "less" talent prevail. Deep down, we know there's always someone more talented than us. We equate ourselves to an underdog, knowing that we may not have the "most" talent but can always work on our leadership, integrity, experience, and just then...maybe, just maybe...

...I can achieve what I'm after if I just be patient like Jason Kidd?
...I can achieve what I'm after if I can just put enough time, talent, treasure and innovation into it like Mark Cuban?
...even though I'm one way (7ft tall), maybe I can still be as smooth as Dirk.
...there's a Tyson Chandler out there that's a final piece to my puzzle?

If we see it and acknowledge it, maybe then can we have a shot at the title?

Go Mavs!

* Please disregard all typos and grammatical errors. I made C's in my English classes.

No comments: